Sunday, January 26, 2014

New Year's Resolutions - broken

Legend has it that 25% of New Year's resolutions are broken within the first week of January. Well, I say, January is all but gone, and with January so are up so many hopeful resolutions. But do not despair, they'll be back again someday (along with Frosty the snow man).
And that's why I do not make myself go through the trouble of making New Year's resolutions. Making daily resolutions every night is too much work already, and I realize the next night, when I rest my head on my pillow, that I kept almost none of them. Some were broken in the same day, others two days later . ...
Eat less ,
Exercise more ,
Do not procrastinate ,
Practice guitar
Take better care of my skin ,
Take better care of my home and my husband (this homemaker business is something for professionals)
Read for 30 minutes each day ...
... and the list is growing .
So if daily resolutions already give me so much work, what the heck I'm going to complicate myself with new year resolutions for?
Life is too short to start over every year. That only gives you an average of 80-and-few new chances . I start over every day. This gives me 365 new chances per year. Every day is a new struggle - as the philosophy of Alcoholics Anonymous .
"Hi, my name is Virginia, I'm a compulsive eater, and I haven't eaten junk for 4 hours and 32 minutes."
"Hi, my name is Virginia, I'm careless about my skin, and I have used moisturizer regularly for two days."
... Day to day, how many of these phrases can I repeat without getting back to square one? Come on - today I have already ruined my healthy eating resolution. I was doing everything right until 2 pm , when I opened a packet of chips. Tomorrow I'll start again. Now I will study Japanese.

No comments: