Thursday, February 04, 2016

Star Wars in Brazil

This globalization thing is really annoying sometimes.

I grew up in the 80s and back then Star Wars in Brazil was called Guerra nas Estrelas. NOthing special, just the name star wars in Portuguese language.

Well, none of the millennial's in Brazil knows what Guerra nas Estrelas is.

I was talking to my 17-year-old brother, who belongs to the state wide Jedi a league, and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Sorry, he is not 17. He is 19. I am so lost when it comes to keeping track of this boy's age!

Ok, so I kept saying the name in Portuguese and he was giving me this blank stare. As in, "What the hell is this show you talk about?"

Then I said, "Come on, you're a Jedi! You should know what that is." Still a blank stare. Eventually I said, "Star Wars!" and he said, "Oh! Star Wars!" And I said, "Whoa! What's going on here? We're from Brazil! We should speak Portuguese!"

No, my friend. Now everything is Star Wars.

Unless you lived in 80s. Then it's never going to be Star Wars. It's always going to be Guerra nas Estrelas. But none of the Millennial's will ever understand that, because to them it's always been Star Wars.

No comments: