Monday, July 12, 2010

We travel together

The story of us, if someday be told, must be told as the story of our travels.
My husband and I have in common, among very few other things, the love for traveling to new places. One thing that I have that he does not is the love for planning, and perfecting the plan until it's fool-proofed.
I think the first trip we took together was to NYC. I do not remember why. We had been dating for less than a month.

Howe Caverns happened while we were still dating. He had promised to take me there many times before. We finally did it. The way back was probably more fun than the whole trip because some bus driver pushed us out of the toll booth, and we spent a few minutes driving him crazy by not letting him pass us at 45 miles an hour.

The next long trip we took was to Gordon College, Nick's Famous Roastbeef and Boston. After that trip I realized I needed to do planning. I saw Boston, but I had not a clue of where anything I had seen was. I was letting Dean show me around and Dean, unlike me, has a very intuitive way of going about his trip. He finds things as he goes and does not bother going into extended explanations of how we got here and where we go from here.

That was not satisfactory to me. Where he felt freedom I felt lost. I had not a single idea of where I was and how to get home. I could never survive having so little control over my itinerary.
Things were about to change.

No comments: